Excellence in Historic Preservation
Awarded to projects that have demonstrated outstanding adherence to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards in preservation, restoration, renovation, or adaptive reuse (residential or commercial).
- Gem Noble Building, Boise - For the careful renovation of this historic building and its adaptive reuse for both commercial and residential uses by the Christensen Corporation.
- Harriman State Park, Island Park - For the rehabilitation, stabilization, and historically sensitive new construction of three structures by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation with design by Trout Architects/Chartered.
- Pioneer Lodge No. 1, Idaho City - For the preservation and renovation of this 1875 Odd Fellows Hall – the oldest continuously used fraternal hall in the state.
- Warm Springs Guard Station, Lowman - For the systematic preservation and renovation of this historic Forest Service site on the Boise National Forest led by Marie Willis.
Contribution to Historic Preservation
Awarded to projects that have been successful in the tasteful restoration, addition, or remodel of an existing building (residential or commercial).
- Boise City National Bank Building, Boise - For the renovation, maintenance, and updating of this commercial landmark – now known as the 805 Idaho Building – by Michael Fery and Rocky Mountain Companies, LLC.
- First National Bank of Driggs Building, Driggs - For the refurbishment of the 1906 structure by KeyBank and the architectural firm of CSHQA a design collaboration.
- Otterson Building, Wallace - For the maintenance and renovation of the 1890 structure under the oversight of owner Nick Fluge
- Historic Kootenai County Jail Building, Rathdrum - For the restoration of the local landmark by the Rathdrum/Westwood Historical Society.
- Van Buren Elementary School, Caldwell - For the adaptive reuse of the 1941 school by the Caldwell School District and LKV Architects for use as Canyon Springs High School.
Friend of Preservation
Awarded to non-professional individuals distinguished for service in historic preservation. This includes, but is not limited to, those who volunteer for preservation organizations, historical societies or museums.
- Scott Chandler, Boise
- Bruce and Nancy Dreher, White Bird
- Elaine Leppert, Caldwell
- Payette Fire Department, Payette
Cultural Heritage Preservation
Awarded to educational programs and projects that have made a positive impact toward the preservation of cultural heritage and open spaces, as well as the restoration and rehabilitation of historic landmarks and roadside architecture.
- 366th Civil Engineer Squadron, Mountain Home Air Force Base - For overseeing the compilation and publication of Mountain Home Air Force Base Modern describing the construction of Richard Neutra-designed housing on the base.
Awarded to organizations or individuals that have shown dedication to historic preservation through the long-term maintenance and care of historic, architecturally significant, or culturally important sites and structures.
- David Wagers and the Idaho Candy Company, Boise - For the systematic preservation and stewardship of this Boise commercial institution, its architecture, and its products and practices.
- Weiser Architectural Preservation Committee, Weiser - For the long-term maintenance and preservation of the history and historic buildings of Weiser including the Union Pacific Depot and the Pythian Castle.
Awarded to individuals or corporations who demolish historically significant buildings or sites or new construction that is insensitive or ignorant of the neighborhood’s history.
- Boise VA Medical Center, Boise - For the cavalier treatment of and absence of proper planning for historic landmarks in their care which has resulted in the construction of unsympathetic new facilities without adherence to federal law, demolition by neglect of one of the oldest extant buildings in the state, and the proposed demolition of Building No. 13 dating to 1885.
The award ceremony was held on Saturday, May 14th, 2011 at the Weiser Union Pacific Depot.
This year’s event began at 11 a.m. with tours of Weiser’s historic buildings, including the historic Pythian Castle. Bulit in 1904, the castle is Weiser’s best known architectural landmark. J.R. Walker Jr., Weiser’s mayor, served as one of the tour guides. The lunch and awards ceremony followed the tour. The event concluded with a tour of the depot.
The Weiser Depot was built by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1907. The two-story concrete and brick structure is in a Romanesque style. Union Pacific donated the depot to the city of Weiser in 1987. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 7, 2007. Renovation of the historic building was recently completed.